Stories And Inspiration
Five Ways to Support GO FARSubmitted by Karen Grossman on Aug 16th 2017 - 12:00AM. | Perma Link
By Sarah Beth Davis
With a new school year just around the corner also comes the start of another exciting GO FAR season! Thousands of children in North Carolina and across the country will start training this fall and take the first steps toward maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle.
When children participate in GO FAR, they build competence and confidence to make healthy choices that will set them up for a lifetime of success. We would not be able to provide these opportunities for children to succeed without generous supporters who give their time and resources to ensure every child has the chance to go far! There’s no better time to get involved.
Here are five ways that you can help:
1. Donate. Your gift to GO FAR supports program development and new training curriculum that builds strong muscles and strong character. It provides new running shoes for many local children without access to healthy footwear, and your gift funds participant scholarships so that every child has the opportunity to achieve his or her goal of completing a 5K race. Make your gift today in any amount on our website or contact Sarah Beth Davis at email@example.com to learn more.
2. Coach a team. Would you like to start a GO FAR club at your local school or youth program facility? GO FAR clubs are led by volunteer coaches who are the heart and “sole” of each club, serving as mentors, leaders, and of course cheerleaders! Coaches follow our easy-to-use Coordinator’s Manual and are provided with ongoing support from GO FAR staff. Learn more about coaching or how to start a club.
3. Volunteer. In addition to coaching, GO FAR offers a variety of volunteer opportunities at our 5K and Fun Run events. It takes more than 100 volunteers to ensure a safe and successful race, and there are lots of fun ways to help – set up/clean up, registration, course management, water stop, and more. Learn more about volunteer opportunities.
4. Give in-kind. In addition to monetary gifts, GO FAR depends on a number of goods and services throughout the year. You can provide healthy snacks for a local club or runner goodie bags for 5K participants. In-kind donations help to keep expenses low so more dollars go directly into supporting our program.
5. Register for a 5K or Fun Run event. The next GO FAR Family 5K & Fun Run is Saturday, Nov. 17, in downtown High Point. Whether it’s your first 5K or your tenth, runners enjoy a beautiful 3.1-mile course with more than 1,500 children and their families – the largest children’s race of its kind in North Carolina. You don’t have to be a child or have a child participating in GO FAR to run. All community runners are welcome to this family-friendly event. Visit our registration page to sign up and take advantage of early-bird registration fees through Oct. 13.
By supporting GO FAR, the positive impact you make on each child creates a ripple effect within families, schools, and entire communities. With your help, we can continue to inspire others to get active and choose a healthy lifestyle. Please join us in helping children take their first steps toward a healthy future by supporting GO FAR today.
Updated June 13, 2018.